Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby jezzab » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

I would recommend anyone playing with bin files etc to use a good piece of software like Hex Workshop, etc. This will allow you do compares, copy and paste, insert, delete, calculate checksums and CRCs and much much more
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby Muke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies, they're helping. I wasn't keeping different versions - just one working file and keeping notes of what changes I was making. I should know that, same as Java programming. Though changed my MO last night and had a very interesting find. Saw an "error" with the last working file where I'd copied a chunk across, but didn't change 1 mem location, so I changed that and from that made up something like 14 different versions, making one change, saving, undoing that making 1 other change and saving etc etc etc etc. It's so much easier on my proper PC setup. Then just took my tablet PC and programmer out to the car. So I didn't even get out of the car seat. Just program, one screw to hold the back on, test, unplug, repeat. Then I could do little changes just in the programming software where required (or try a couple more things).

The first change on the base file from yesterday stopped the 2 small lcds working. It appears I made more than 1 change as the 1 I thought didn't make a difference when swapped back. Oh well. Eventually got to 2 single mem locations and 1 chunk that made big changes. But I suspect other changes may have also affected those changes. Basically, changing all locations in Matti's table and Andreas' post to the SV6 got me to the base file, then I changed 1 thing back at a time.

0x011B - Changed from SV6 "01" to HSV "00"
This bought back the triple window.

0x0138 - 0x013D - From SV6 "23 03 02 02 25 C0" to HSV "56 1B 01 01 25 D0"
- Still get ABS fault - but TCS back. TCS does not error, but I get the warning it is switched off. Button does nothing, but no ABS, so no TCS. "ESP OFF" showing at bottom of lcd screen too.
- Overspeed mandatory gone, all options back as per normal.
- Trip A&B back (may have happened with the above change - I kept this change throughout rest of tests. Mightn't have noticed at 2am)
- PRND back working when in "normal shift". Man mode and Sport mode still working. However PRN don't show in Sport mode, though it does now make the last displayed value disappear (nothing displayed at bottom of lcd) whereas before the last known gear just stayed there. Note - I don't use sport mode, maybe this was the way it was in the SV6. So it doesn't matter.

0x07D - From SV6 "00" back to HSV "01"
- I've made notes that it did something to the PRN display. But 3am notes aren't brilliant. Might double check this.

I then played around a little more with the values around the 0x0327 - 0x034D (in pieces) but couldn't get rid of the ABS fault yet. Though that didn't get too much fiddling. I'll do the same method concentrating around those locations. I think it's just the ABS error now. Then any more playing is just for interests sake. Maybe that AFM thing. I think the only thing that effects is the instant fuel use display (ie - shows zero when braking downhill and maybe accuracy). So no need to change it, we'll see when I call it time to put the dash back together... Now to get something like Hex Workshop, it'd have been handy last night... Oh and have to test drive again in case I stuffed the speedo etc, they were all working.

And yes, I know my car needs a clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby Muke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm

After a few more nights, still no luck. Since I've started keeping files I've tried, I've accumulated 37 different combinations. I did notice that 0x0330-31 which everyone changes to the old values, seems to also repeat those values again at 0x0124-125. (AFFE on HSV to B2FF on SV6). Tried changing that one and the 2 values preceding those (05FF to 0000) in both locations (still no change in any combination). Similar to 0x033C-33F, that clump seems to continue until 0x0341, so tried changing 0x0340-341, but no change. Anyway, tried a fair few of those type of undocumented changes, all unsuccessful so far. Also find it a little odd that 0x0142-143 and 0x0346-347 have the same values of FDFC for both SV6 and HSV. I thought those related to engine/gearbox, but neither are the same between those 2 models. Well I'm pretty sure the HSV has 6auto, SV6 is 5auto. Engine and diff are certainly different.

All this is now making me wonder. Am I correct in assuming that the only values in the working cluster should either come from the new or old cluster? About the only thing I can think of trying now is either using some values listed in Matti's table that aren't from either of my clusters, or trying msenj's/Andreas' working dumps as base files to work from (changing in just my odo/vin to start). Any thoughts on what else to try? Other than going to Holden that is (haven't reached the "$127 fine for giving up" tipping point of frustration quite yet).
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby AndreasB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Certainly would hurt to try msenj's working dump, as her car is an auto from memory, mines a manual, but you could try mine as well just to see if it works. It took me ages and a ton of tries to get mine working. Lucky for you though you can go to Motors as a last restort. Whenever I ask my local Motors shop anything remotely technical they just glaze over and have no idea what I'm talking about!

Good luck!
AndreasB
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Muke wrote:After a few more nights, still no luck. Since I've started keeping files I've tried, I've accumulated 37 different combinations.

+1 to the endless trial and error of attacking the clusters eeprom... one location at a time!
Id suggest trying out msenj's dump and see what errors come up or if it works.

Alternatively, I found it easiest to narrow points down by cut/pasting a couple lines at a time to see what exactly changes/if desired change occurs. May need to cut paste larger bits and pieces till you get rid of the abs/trac warnings. If the cut paste didnt get rid of the warning, note the locations edited and dont change them back since the changed parts may eventually be required to remove the warnings, then keep trying more chunks from your original bin till the warnings bugger off.

Muke wrote:Any thoughts on what else to try? Other than going to Holden that is (haven't reached the "$127 fine for giving up" tipping point of frustration quite yet).

F*ck using Holden, there not even a last resort! When they say they can do it.. they mean "we will try to update/fix the issue".. which means fork out $150 for their attempt regardless of the result! Then if it goes all down hill.. have to pay to fix there problem!
Just keep at it, looks like you have a good setup going so the trial/error approach should be fairly quick
TazzI

Postby Muke » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:32 am

Man you folks are awesome. Went back to SV6 dump and modified it. Version 6 upto 6q written, major changes on 6g, 6i2 just got no faults, 3 windows and a nice combo of hsv & sv6 screens/workings. Sport mode/active select/prnd as per sv6, trip a&b etc as per hsv. But still in car. Still have all those other c hanges to test. :)
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby AndreasB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 am

Nice one! Thats another one working now!
AndreasB
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 am

Wooot !!!!! Good work Muke !!!!

Yeah its a pain in the butt to do this mod, but take pride in that this is one of the hardest mods to do :)
I have gotten so many conflicting stories from people taking white backed clusters to Holden for programming, that I have no idea if they can definitely do this or not ?
People saying that they wont touch HSV clusters, others saying they will only touch brand new clusters, and others saying its a 50/50 chance and depends if the technician working on it can be stuffed spending the time to work it out and get it right, or not.

Anyway, congrats Muke ! and enjoy your hard work !
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Muke » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 am

Ok a quick update now I've road tested. GPS said 94.29km, car said 94.85km. I think it's right ;) as with the speedo. Well apart from that "correction" between the car and the display, but that's the same as before. It is the SV6 triple window, not the HSV triple window displays. Tried to play around setting the cluster brighter than the sic (damn bright red), but it appears to be controlled elsewhere (BCM???) and 0x014E & 0x0352 just seem to report what it is set at. So might just keep playing to see what else can be done (like working HSV style screens - which I had, but with ABS fault). Photos might show what I mean - and that ESP OFF isn't a fault, I switched it off to check I could. TCS does work :D.
2013-02-10-123_sm.jpg
2013-02-10-125_sm.jpg

So this is my currently running and working 100% as far as I can tell dump. Oddly - cruise control would not activate on the first drive (twice now after changes made). It would turn on, not activate. But on both times I stopped, and it worked perfectly on the way back and there after. Lots of information gathered - I'll try to collate it in case people are curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby doubledip » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:19 am

What is the difference with triple sv6 and triple Hsv?
doubledip

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts