Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby MartinM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:36 am

ZerOne wrote:Ok, I have updated the programming cluster doco with some more values from a dumped HSV E1, and an SS Cluster.
Both the Transmission and engine details for these clusters are unknown. (Auto, Manual, AFM, Non AFM, etc)...

I think one more cluster dump from a known V8 Model (Auto or Manual), should be enough to work out what values are needed to create an EEPROM from scratch...

As for the 6 Cylinder stuff, there is a looooong way to go before I think we will be close to having the required information. :(

Cheers

Do you still require hex dumps from vehicles? I have a 2008 series 1 VESS V8 6 spd Manual and my programmer and clip are on their way from Europe
Happy to contribute if you still need this stuff
MartinM

Postby ZerOne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 am

Hi there MartinM, and welcome to the Forums !!

Funnily enough, I am working with someone on a SS Manual tryig to get a HSV cluster to work.....
I ALMOST have it nutted out, but I am getting ABS/ESP errors on startup on the modified HSV Dump.
I am also trying to modify the SS Dump that I have, and using that on the HSV cluster.
The big problem with this is that I cant get the Triple LCDs to work with this dump.

The Doco information seems to be good for my VE Calais, and it is ALMOST good for a VE Manual SS, but more work is needed...

Every EEPROM dump helps immensely, as I am finding big changes between software versions, and other stuff.
There is also a LOT of data in these EEPROMs which you can play with, that is still unknown...

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 am

ZerOne wrote:Hi there MartinM, and welcome to the Forums !!

Funnily enough, I am working with someone on a SS Manual tryig to get a HSV cluster to work.....
I ALMOST have it nutted out, but I am getting ABS/ESP errors on startup on the modified HSV Dump.
I am also trying to modify the SS Dump that I have, and using that on the HSV cluster.
The big problem with this is that I cant get the Triple LCDs to work with this dump.

The Doco information seems to be good for my VE Calais, and it is ALMOST good for a VE Manual SS, but more work is needed...

Every EEPROM dump helps immensely, as I am finding big changes between software versions, and other stuff.
There is also a LOT of data in these EEPROMs which you can play with, that is still unknown...

Cheers
Matti

OK Matti as soon as I get my gear, I will download the file and send it over to you. I also have access to a VE Calais V6 Auto 5 Speed level 3 cluster (which I want to install in my VESS once correctly re programmed to work in a VESS) so I can extract the default hex dump from this for you also if it helps in the project?

Cheers
MartinM

Postby ZerOne » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 am

Cheers for that Martin.

A Calais V6 5 Speed Auto dump will help immensely, as I only have 1 6 cylinder dump at the moment...

I think I found out more EEPROM locations for V8 6 Speed Manual Transmissions...
(Currently in testing)....

I will post more information up soon if it all works out....
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby parmoda » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm

hi zero tanks for that its really kind of you to do that but after so so so so many time finaly i got the figures how to program it its perrty mush easy after when you suffer :ugeek: couple night thinking about it
plz if you have got any question you may ask me as well

im hopping you have a some info about the ford AU BA BF the instrument cluster programing as well i really need that ic chip is ( 93C56) 8bit i just need the ODO memory location :roll:

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers every one
parmoda
Kicking Tyres

Postby ZerOne » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Parmoda,

Good to hear you worked out the Odo Reading stuff for the VE.

The next step really is to be able to re-program one cluster to work with another vehicle, as that is where the real demand is...
(In Australia at least, the price of clusters have come down a bit, and most of the guys with SS models want to upgrade to triple window LCD clusters (Eg. Calais and HSV clusters).

The problems that I see right now are going from a single window cluster, to a triple window cluster, and going from an Auto Cluster, to a Manual Cluster.

I got the triple / single window cluster stuff working ages ago with the Omega cluster I have.
But to be honest, there were sooo many memory locations that were changed, I cant be 100% sure that the solution will work all the time. (Once I had the Omega cluster working without any ABS, ESP errors, I restored some data around the 0230 - 023F area, which returned the Cluster EEPROM from triple, to single window mode..

I am still waiting for the results of HSV cluster in to a Manual SS....
Its December, the start of the silly Christmas season, so its hard for everyone tofind time to play around with this sort of stuff but hopefully this problem can be solved !!!!
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:20 pm

What hardware changes would be needed to fit an E1 HSV cluster into a VE MY9.5 SSV? Software im prepared to have a crack at but you mentioned some pinouts are different?

Jez
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 am

To be completely honest, I am not sure.
The general consensus (On the web anyway), is that you cannot swap black and white back cover clusters.

Now I cannot verify this, (As I have never played with a black cover cluster before), an American has tried fitting white back cluster to his late model G8 (Black cover).
He had issues with the steering wheel controls, as well as programming using a TECH2.

I don't think there are any substantial pin out differences (As I have the genuine workshop manual that covers MY07 through to MY9.5) and it appears that there have been no changes or revisions.

I know of one way around this though (regarding the HSV clusters), the E3 HSV cluster (Black cover) main board appears to be the same as the Calais (Black Cover) cluster.

So if you wanted an E3 Cluster in an early model VE, you could get a Calais White back cluster, and a HSV E3 Black cover cluster, swap the faces and plastics around, and fit.
Likewise if you wanted a E1 / Early E2 White Back Cluster in a late model VE, you could get a late model Calais (Black Cover) Cluster, and swap the face and plastics over and o it that way...

Finally, there are some Late Model E2 HSV Clusters out there with a Black Cover, that should wire up to a late model commodore.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am

Oh, and there is one other issue with using early model clusters in late model VE Commodores.

The clusters underwent a number of software revisions to support the new Engines, and HSV functions,
(In particular AFM for V8s, Magnetic Ride Control, launch control, track mode for the HSV stuff).

If you fit a very early model cluster to a late model VE, the cluster may not support notifications of events such as when the engine goes in to AFM mode, (For AFM V8s), or the extra HSV stuff if fitted to a HSV model.

These features will continue to work, its just the cluster will not know how to handle these events when presented to it on the GMLAN. (So they will be ignored)...
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:03 am

Well ive just brought an HSV E3 0km cluster. Apparently they have changed the chip to a 4 sided style (vs 8 pin 2 sided) but I cant confirm this until it turns up and I get back to work. As soon as I do i will strip it down and take some pics.

Jez
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts