Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Upgrading VE Commodore Instrument Clusters

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby ZerOne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am

The following forum thread is for discussing the Accessing the Upgrading VE Commodore Instrument Clusters document, located in our Documents section.

Please try to keep posts relevant, and on topic.
Also, please refrain from using the P.M. system to message the author or posters of this thread.
The chances are if you have a question regarding this document, then others will have the same question too.
Using the Forum allows anyone and everyone to both ask and answer questions.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Fekason » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 am

Hi to all,

My history:

I first changed my VS II to a three window cluster because I liked the idea of more and better displayed trip information. It was not too hard, but did require me to get hold of the correct cluster (with around the correct odometer reading) and did need wiring modifications.

When I updated to a VY II, I did the same change to a three window cluster. This time it just entailed a Tech2 programming because I bought a new one that could be programmed to the current odometer reading of the car.

When I bought a VE MY09 SV6, I investigated and found lots of negativity about difficulties with doing the same to the VE, and was not game to try. Hated the VE SV6 cluster with a vengeance, particularly the nitrate one that I had. It was almost unusable as the small white on very light grey numbering were hard to read, and the red lighting flared badly with my aging eyes.

The Series II SV6 cluster was a huge improvement, and was one reason why I updated to a new MY11 SV6 much earlier than normal for me. However, it still had red lighting in the central panel, which continued to irritate me. I also still desired the additional information offered in the three window clusters.

After some research, I decided to go for it in my VE II SV6. Picked up a new Series II Calais cluster from an Ebay trader. The foreman at the local dealer expressly showed interest - top marks. The cluster works perfectly. Total cost less than $400.

I know that most on here would want HSV clusters, but if anyone just wants the three window trip computer functions, the Calais cluster in the Series II seems as straight forward as it was for the VT to VZ. The proviso is that this is for installing a new MY11 Calais cluster into an MY11 SV6. It probably works for My12 as well, but I cannot claim so with conviction.
Fekason
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi guy's, I am upgrading my VE II sv6 cluster to a Calais. Does anyone know if I fit the cluster, can I drive the car 25k's to have the T 2 done. I have read/heard a lot of conflicting opinions on this. local holden dealer "I think it shall be ok" We all think once in a while!! No definate answer again. Also off the topic, but do you know what sort of connections are on the stereo (holden IQ) for the rear auxillary and where they are.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby ZerOne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forums :)

If the Calais cluster is brand new, then only fit the cluster at the dealership.
(After 10Kms from memory, the Kms on the cluster cannot be re-programmed by Tech2)

Holden added this limit to Tech 2 as some dealers were whoring out new cars to managers, sales reps, and the like, and then resetting the Kms back to near 0.

Your best bet is to remove the cluster surround trim, and make it as easy as possible for the dealer to swap your cluster and program the new one.

If the Calais cluster is used, then the dealer wont be able to program the Kays on it, so it wouldnt matter if you fitted the cluster and drove to the dealership, or supermarket, pub, etc)...

Also to answer your rear Aux question,

X3 Connector Pin 9 is the RSE Right Channel Input (Rear DVD Player)
X3 Connector Pin 3 is the RSE Left Channel Input (Rear DVD Player)
X3 Connector Pin 4 is the Ground for the above inputs.

The X3 Connector is the bottom LHS Connector (With the blue numbers)

Oh, and to get these inputs to work you will need to enable the RSE Option on your IQ Unit (Via Tech2)
This will also allow you to use the Video Input for RSE
I hope this helps
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby silversv6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks Zero one, The calais cluster has 36k on it & mine has 74k on it.....I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for both your answers Thanks for your welcome & guess we'll be talking more...cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey there Zero one...are you still there? quick wake up.... How do I get the silver dress strip off? I have pulled it, wriggled it & even carefully tried to lever it with a little screw driver. Do the S II Sv6 have different clips to the one piece strips? Thanks again
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks ZerOne, all done, starts, dash works, looks good & much easier for my old eyes to read!!
those clips on the silver strip were mega tough to get off, but I won.Thanks again
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi there, just for anyone who's interested, I put a Ve II Calais cluster into my Ve II sportwagon last night. No tech 2 yet but it all seems to work ok. I have every option that my 2002 VX II berlina has without a tech 2.
At first the "fuel remaining" did not come up. I went into the trip computer settings & enabled "distance to arrival" Then bingo..It also enabled "range" (k's), Fuel used & Inst fuel. If it's not enabled I can't get them extras. My car- 9/2010 sportwagon..Calais cluster 11/2010 sedan. I just want to thank ZerOne for this awesome thread & the other pages defining between the clusters which was soooo helpful thanks again.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby silversv6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 am

Hi Matti, do have the pin-out for the video in on the IQ, Thanks Scotty.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby ZerOne » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

silversv6 wrote:Hi Matti, do have the pin-out for the video in on the IQ, Thanks Scotty.

No problems, P.M. Sent :)
ZerOne
Site Admin

Next

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts