Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

GM ALDL Logging and Scanning

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 pm

TazzI wrote:
ferret82 wrote:hi,

im not sure if this is the right place to post but i am after some help with VY/VZ cluster programming.

i have managed to work out how to chnage the startup logos and shut-down text and even changing the RPM of when the shift light comes on using the following code.

only issue i have is if i swap the startup logo away from HSV the shift light stops working :(

does anyone here know the code i need to make the shift light work for all logos especially the holden one?

Hi Ferret,

To get the redline change working for all logos is alot harder then a simple change of a byte using that frame that I posted a while back. Have to dump the eeprom over comms to obtain the section with the redline info, then write back that section with the updated values.
Although this requires a seed/key operation to unlock the cluster and obtain specific locations within it.

Taz.

Hi Taz,

i had a feeling that getting the redline change to work for all logos was going to be a bigger job.

i believe i have cracked how to unlock the cluster by sending the seed / key, any chnacde you could point me in the area where the redline info is and what i would need to change it to? big ask i know, but so far you seam to be the only person i have found that knows a lot about these clusters, and redline working on a holden logo is my ultimate goal.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm

ferret82 wrote:Hi Taz,

i had a feeling that getting the redline change to work for all logos was going to be a bigger job.

i believe i have cracked how to unlock the cluster by sending the seed / key, any chance you could point me in the area where the redline info is and what i would need to change it to? big ask i know, but so far you seam to be the only person i have found that knows a lot about these clusters, and redline working on a holden logo is my ultimate goal.

Generally it is enabled via the eeprom, which I guess is an option if your game to crack it open.
Iv only just recently attempted to start doing eeprom dumps over the comms. I logged the difference when I enabled and disabled the redline a while ago. Cant remember which location it was at. I havent finished decoding each byte or matching next to the eeprom dump either so cant look at my notes for that one.

Will have to get back to you on that one once Iv got the vy/vz eeprom dumper sorted so I can start doing dumps. I have a vt/vx eeprom dumper which works great.. although vy/vz's changed how the "eeprom requests" work and how they respond so its taking a while longer to remove the useless/repeated info.

Just for an idea what I mean.. if i request section 3C.. it may give me: 01,0F,05,01,03,05
Then if I request section 3D... it may give: 0F,05,01,03,05
And 3E would give: 05,01,03,05 ect ect.

Then other times it may give a fairly large response but it wont do the above iteration for the next locations directly after. (bit hard to explain) but pretty much means have to go through each response, 1 by 1, comparing with the eeprom and the responses around it, then determine which ones to ignore/delete.

Looking to eventually have a whole selection of eeprom dumps so different cluster configs ca be written in the one go ;)

I havent actually attempted changing the "redline enable" byte in the table 9 to a different number. eg 0 = off, 1 = on. What if you change to 2,3? Might be a quick solution.
TazzI

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 pm

TazzI wrote:
ferret82 wrote:Hi Taz,

i believe i have cracked how to unlock the cluster by sending the seed / key, any chance you could point me in the area where the redline info is and what i would need to change it to? big ask i know, but so far you seam to be the only person i have found that knows a lot about these clusters, and redline working on a holden logo is my ultimate goal.

Generally it is enabled via the eeprom, which I guess is an option if your game to crack it open.
Iv only just recently attempted to start doing eeprom dumps over the comms. I logged the difference when I enabled and disabled the redline a while ago. Cant remember which location it was at. I havent finished decoding each byte or matching next to the eeprom dump either so cant look at my notes for that one.

Will have to get back to you on that one once Iv got the vy/vz eeprom dumper sorted so I can start doing dumps. I have a vt/vx eeprom dumper which works great.. although vy/vz's changed how the "eeprom requests" work and how they respond so its taking a while longer to remove the useless/repeated info.

Just for an idea what I mean.. if i request section 3C.. it may give me: 01,0F,05,01,03,05
Then if I request section 3D... it may give: 0F,05,01,03,05
And 3E would give: 05,01,03,05 ect ect.

Then other times it may give a fairly large response but it wont do the above iteration for the next locations directly after. (bit hard to explain) but pretty much means have to go through each response, 1 by 1, comparing with the eeprom and the responses around it, then determine which ones to ignore/delete.

Looking to eventually have a whole selection of eeprom dumps so different cluster configs ca be written in the one go ;)

I havent actually attempted changing the "redline enable" byte in the table 9 to a different number. eg 0 = off, 1 = on. What if you change to 2,3? Might be a quick solution.

long and short of what you are saying is we are pushing the boundaries of what has been tired. i kind of figured that might be the case. i am happy ot assist you in any way shape of forum but to be honest im not the greatest at this and its all a steep learning curve for me as my Hex skills havent been used in a large number of years.

to be fair i have not tried to change the redline bite to anything else other than 0 and 1 i might give this a go later / over the weekend and see what i can dig up, in theory there must be something simple that tells it to look at table X to actually get it to kick in for other non HSV logos.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby ferret82 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:34 pm

adding a quick thing (as i cant find the edit post button) to say thank you your going a great job unpicking these clusters.

i see you managed to get the other engineering modes working, i would be interested in how you did this as i have managed to learn a lot from sniffing the traffic of this app to see what it requests and writes
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Dont worry, your hex skills dont need to be amazing... thats what windows calculator in programmer mode is for ;)

Only problem is its really only a job a program can do. As it it takes a couple minutes to download all the data and verify the content and ensure no section is missing. So doing it manually... is a hell of a task.
More then likely i'll need to post up a .bin of a cluster and also the corresponding eeprom dump via comms I obtain to work out which frames we need and which to toss out. And also another dump with redline enable to check which location its at.
First glance at the dumps is that they do occur in a logical format and follow the .bin although I havent looked into it extensively as of yet.

I might try changing the redline enable byte to other values to see what happens when I get a chance next on a test cluster here.

Some of those "engineer modes" dont completely work. As in they were unfinished projects. But by understanding whats being sent, finding what then gets received by sending to the cluster and comparing with the available parameters in the tables, its easy enough to finish them off. Well least thats what Iv done.

To be honest, I didnt think anyone else had tried sniffing the traffic from the app. Or take the time to figure out what each byte is doing.
TazzI

Postby ferret82 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am

TazzI wrote:Dont worry, your hex skills dont need to be amazing... thats what windows calculator in programmer mode is for ;)

Only problem is its really only a job a program can do. As it it takes a couple minutes to download all the data and verify the content and ensure no section is missing. So doing it manually... is a hell of a task.
More then likely i'll need to post up a .bin of a cluster and also the corresponding eeprom dump via comms I obtain to work out which frames we need and which to toss out. And also another dump with redline enable to check which location its at.
First glance at the dumps is that they do occur in a logical format and follow the .bin although I havent looked into it extensively as of yet.

I might try changing the redline enable byte to other values to see what happens when I get a chance next on a test cluster here.

Some of those "engineer modes" dont completely work. As in they were unfinished projects. But by understanding whats being sent, finding what then gets received by sending to the cluster and comparing with the available parameters in the tables, its easy enough to finish them off. Well least thats what Iv done.

To be honest, I didnt think anyone else had tried sniffing the traffic from the app. Or take the time to figure out what each byte is doing.

to be honest the whole idea of useing the calc in programmer mode compleatly passed me by why i didnt think of this lord knows DOH!!!

as for the dumps putting them up here sounds like a good idea as more than one pair of eyes is always good.

i will also try chnaging the redline byte over the next few days once i have put the car back together for some other work in doing.

your quite lucky i have yet to source a spare cluster and everything i do is done live in the car :shock:

i cant see why others would not look at what the app does as lets be honest it has some of the hard work done and tidyed up so i my eyes it was a good place to start my read issue is canceling out the noise from the car but i think i have found ways of doing this in car these days.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:16 am

I have 5-6 clusters sitting here at home. Have them constantly passing through postage ect. So I got a fair few .bins!

I use to perform everything on my one and only cluster.. but as the changes become more.. aggressive, I went and bought a harness and spare clusters to mess with. Also stops you from having to continuously get in and out of the damn car!

"my read issue is canceling out the noise from the car but i think i have found ways of doing this in car these days."

Sorry dont quite get what your saying there?! haha. You have a reading issue?
TazzI

Postby ferret82 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:44 am

TazzI wrote:I have 5-6 clusters sitting here at home. Have them constantly passing through postage ect. So I got a fair few .bins!

I use to perform everything on my one and only cluster.. but as the changes become more.. aggressive, I went and bought a harness and spare clusters to mess with. Also stops you from having to continuously get in and out of the damn car!

"my read issue is canceling out the noise from the car but i think i have found ways of doing this in car these days."

Sorry dont quite get what your saying there?! haha. You have a reading issue?

opps it appears as i i messed up that post..

it was supposed to read..

i cant see why others would not look at what the app does as lets be honest it has some of the hard work done and tidyed up so i my eyes it was a good place to start my reading.

issue is cancelling out the noise (chatter) from the car but i think i have found ways of doing this in car these days, to save having to take the clusters out.

as for getting spares there harder and more expensive to get hold of in the uk with only 700 VY/VZ's in the country
ferret82
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 am

Not much that can be done for limiting the chatter unless you send the "disable chatter" command to the bcm which pauses communication for a small amount of time. If you spam it long enough, communication holds for longer then everything starts beeping at you since its missing the communication from other devices. Although this does allow for easy communication.

Doesnt sound like its going to be a cheap sport messing with the cluster I must say. probably best you stick away from any custom writing frames.
TazzI

Postby ferret82 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:35 pm

TazzI wrote:Not much that can be done for limiting the chatter unless you send the "disable chatter" command to the bcm which pauses communication for a small amount of time. If you spam it long enough, communication holds for longer then everything starts beeping at you since its missing the communication from other devices. Although this does allow for easy communication.

Doesnt sound like its going to be a cheap sport messing with the cluster I must say. probably best you stick away from any custom writing frames.

I do t suppose you could tell me what the disable chatter command is can you?I assume its a command you can send via ose, it might make some of my sniffing and unpicking easier.

As for cheap sports I ave never known to pick one so why start now :-) I will find a cheap cluster I'm sure of it so if we do work out the custom frames I can play at less risk.
ferret82
Starting Ignition

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts