Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

Holden VT and VX Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby TazzI » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Take that back, I think the nec mcu is a: uPD 780826

Something like this may do it, assuming thats what the device is that above:
"http://www.aobd2.com/nec-programmer-p-1760.html"

Just maybe something not $180... ahah
TazzI

Postby ZerOne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Ill try and shed what little light I can here....

I remember when the VT first came out, the Level 3 Cluster (Shown above with the gear position) was not available.
(Calais had the Level 2 Cluster, which was triple LCD, but no Gear position LEDs).
Around the Series II (When Holden ditched the 5.0L V8, and started selling the LS1s), the Calais, and LWB models got the gear position indicator....

Sooooo I am thinking in typical Holden fashion, they swapped suppliers (From VDO to Arrow I am assuming) or something like that ????
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby gruntly69 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Sorry guys been a bit busy doing too many thing's....

Yeah on the other forum they'd shown me pictures of the exact same PCB for the VT-VX clusters & oposite of my 2 & hard to believe they did a complete turn about on not having eeprom, but yeah with changing suppliers which as Zero mentioned & we all know who know's?

Maybe I just got lucky but just happened to be the only 2 I had lying in the workshop!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby Biggsy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Evey vx one I have seen were like the ones in my photo. Every vt ones I have seen looked like the ones in Grunt's photo.

Dave.
I've come to realize that everything electronic runs on smoke, you let too much of it out and the electronics stop working!
Biggsy
Starting Ignition

Postby Biggsy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Ok, talking to the guys on delcohacking I found out it is the NEC m ultipinned chip that stores the info.
You need to buy a NEC dashboard programmer and solder half a dozen wires to the chip.
There is a chev vehicle that uses the exact same cluster.
Looks like Holden got lazy with the vx clusters and use an existing one from the states instead of getting a custom one made.

Dave.
I've come to realize that everything electronic runs on smoke, you let too much of it out and the electronics stop working!
Biggsy
Starting Ignition

Postby gruntly69 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Stumbled across this today PPK values for this thread series dash clusters!

Enjoy, gives everyone an idea how much the value is changed for different setup's!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby gruntly69 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

LMAO, yesterday I tried the VT cluster I'd read with desoldering & fitting back, but I tried it in a VX & sort of worked but all data must be in the wrong area it's looking for as the speed setting wasn't right, nor was the tacho, nor was the fuel & temp gauges!
The airbag warning popped up after a few seconds too, but it was an acclaim I tried it in & the VT cluster wouldn't have been set for that many air bags!
The trip meter seemed to click over roughly to what it should have been, went to 1.77Kms but the odo didn't move at all!

so I guess there not interchangeable!
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby gruntly69 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Done a bit more testing but will update that part later...

I prefer the middle but it's not quite as bright!

LMAO, just saw it's upside down, but cant be bothered re-uploading you get the idea!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gruntly69
Contributor

Postby TazzI » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Middle seems best, but the right and the middle look very similar in the photo due to flash, could you take it without the flash on?
TazzI

Postby gruntly69 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah here's better images, the left has no cover, the middle a blue(Ford) cover & right has green(GM) cover!

I’ve been testing these VT clusters in different models & it seems the VT series 1 (92078903 level 2o 129??) will only work in that model as when I tried it in a series 2 it did the same things as when I tried it in a VX (both temp & fuel when straight to top, the tacho & speedo worked but definitely weren’t right, the odo didn’t even tick over 1Km but the trip meter looked reasonably close so go figure!).
Yet the triple LCD cluster (level 3oP 12883) I have worked in a VT series 2 but the tacho didn’t like working when at idle & was a little sporadic even when it was working so it could even been a fault in that cluster & it seemed the temp gauge started at ¼ almost but when at operating temp was just on ½ which is fairly normal.
So going with that testing possibly the triple LCD I have may work in a VX even though they have the completely different eeprom setup, but I’ll test this next time I can!
But the air bag section of the eeprom’s no matter which cluster needs to be set for correct configuration otherwise it will need to fault code reset in the air bag module (not cluster) if it trips it out after putting right config in the eeprom!
The 2 cars I tested them in had 92096563 (single LCD) in the VX & 92087560 (single LCD) in the VT s2!
gruntly69
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts