Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby MartinM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Just for the Aussies here........specially the ones who are waiting for their clips ;)

http://au.element14.com/3m/923650-08/te ... s/6813032/

Pretty sure with some care and some pointy pliers you can snap the 10 way connectors into 2 way versions:

Now all you need is some patience, soldering equipment, a couple of lengths of small heatshrink and you have an Aussie sourced clip and cable hopefully quicker than the international post gets it here.

And yes, I will repost the hex dumps from the Single and Dual Zone HCM's (they are on my laptop), although I wasnt sure whether these should have been read at 16 bit or 8 bit (I used 16 bit in the files). I used a QL-2006 EEPROM programmer

Luckily I had both genders of HCM available, I didnt actually need to push a hex file back to my Single zone HCM, as I just used my already configured Dual Zone so anyone trying these dump files, be aware that this part is as yet untested so please back up your eeprom to a file first before flashing your HCM just in case, then post your results back for here folks to share.

Cheers
MartinM

Postby MartinM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm

The links (which wouldnt display in my previous post) are in the next two messages

http://au.element14.com/3m/923650-08/te ... /dp/178278
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/he ... s/6425102/
MartinM

Postby MartinM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm

MartinM

Postby MartinM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

and a couple of hex files

generated using QLprogen (for the QL2006 Programmer) using 93xx66 (16 bit)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinM

Postby automoti » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 am

Hi guys,

Not sure what exactly you are trying, but I would not recommend to anyone to change any codes on HCM units without special tools. I agree with the guy who said that there are four different genders Single/Dual/Tri/Heater only (not blower o only). All HCMs now are the same in hardware, but software is different for all of them. Especially for CAN bus communications and calibration data. If you have tools you can replace any HCM and set any genders within 30 seconds. I am using from www.automotivehorizons.com.au and price is $250 + GST, but it was possible to get it down to $220.
automoti
Newbie Modder

Postby MartinM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks Automoti, the term Blower only was typo on my behalf, basically meaning "no aircon"

You got a very good price on your HVAC tester, I contacted them last week and they quoted me $345 +GST and when I phoned automotive horizons in Melbourne directly, they refered me to the same outlet in WA who had quoted that price.

We are not changing just settings in the HVAC systems, more like ripping out the entire HCM eeprom and replacing it with an entire eeprom from a dual zone HCM to make it into the dual zone unit, although I do agree that gender setting is better done with an hvac tester.

As you use one of these testers,perhaps you could share with us what calibration information gets written to teh HVAC module during your testing procedures. If it is simply storing learned door positions, you dont need a tester to do that, you can simply calibrate the doors using the procedure mentioned in this thread.

Cheers
MartinM

Postby msenj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

MartinM wrote:Thanks Automoti, the term Blower only was typo on my behalf, basically meaning "no aircon"

You got a very good price on your HVAC tester, I contacted them last week and they quoted me $345 +GST and when I phoned automotive horizons in Melbourne directly, they refered me to the same outlet in WA who had quoted that price.

We are not changing just settings in the HVAC systems, more like ripping out the entire HCM eeprom and replacing it with an entire eeprom from a dual zone HCM to make it into the dual zone unit, although I do agree that gender setting is better done with an hvac tester.

As you use one of these testers,perhaps you could share with us what calibration information gets written to teh HVAC module during your testing procedures. If it is simply storing learned door positions, you dont need a tester to do that, you can simply calibrate the doors using the procedure mentioned in this thread.

Cheers

I've just noticed something interesting...

1. Looking at those two hex files - Nowhere in them is a string of bytes that could represent a VIN in ASCII characters, like in the cluster and stereo eeprom dumps.

Aaaaand....

2. There is no option anywhere in the Automotive horizons tool to tell the HCM to learn the car's VIN.

This could mean that the HCM itself is vehicle agnostic, and only needs a gender set and the actuator learn procedure (hopefully the one that can be initiated from the HVAC controls in the car) in order to work.

Before I do the DZ swap, I'll grab a dump of the eeprom on my dual zone HCM, then once everything is up and working correctly with the dual zone HCM (which, given I'm not modifying anything in the eeprom, will also tell us if it'll work without needing a VIN set), I'll backup the single zone HCM, flash it with the dual zone dump, and see if it works the same.

My dual zone HCM is missing the PCB pins on the connector for the tri zone actuator and sensors. Fingers crossed the single zone one isn't missing the dual zone pins... :?:
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

Postby MartinM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm

msenj: the vin definitely isnt in the HCM.......i checked, over and over and can 100% guarantee you do not need to set a VIN in the HCM (I did not need to set a VIN in my DZ HCM to make it work, which is how I can be so certain).

aaand

as you stated, the HCM therefore does not care what vehicle it is installed in, so would just need to be the correct gender however I do want to verify this thing with "calibration information"

I suspect "calibration information" simply means the door positions which as we know can be re calibrated very simply without a HVAC tester. The doors positions are determined by potentiometers so would be an analogue voltage through an ADC stored as a hex byte(s), but thats all just over techy as you can simply hit re-learn and forget worrying about what values are stored as it will sort its own life out :)

Reading the manual from that HVAC tester gives away a great deal of information about the HCM doesnt it :)
MartinM

Postby MartinM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Oh and for the record, the SZ HCM has the DZ pins......the physical HCM hardware is identical across the board
MartinM

Postby msenj » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:31 pm

MartinM wrote:I suspect "calibration information" simply means the door positions which as we know can be re calibrated very simply without a HVAC tester. The doors positions are determined by potentiometers so would be an analogue voltage through an ADC stored as a hex byte(s), but thats all just over techy as you can simply hit re-learn and forget worrying about what values are stored as it will sort its own life out :)

My thoughts exactly.

MartinM wrote:Reading the manual from that HVAC tester gives away a great deal of information about the HCM doesnt it :)

It certainly does. Nothing wrong with that at all! :P

MartinM wrote:Oh and for the record, the SZ HCM has the DZ pins......the physical HCM hardware is identical across the board

Bitchin'.
Assistant banhammer swinger since 2012...
msenj

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts