Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Radio / HVAC EEPROM reprogramming information

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby tmk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:47 am

Love to get some SW CAN logs from a car with a reverse module.. :)

TMK
tmk
Starting Ignition

Postby ghodge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:14 am

Does anyone have the exact part numbers of the serial EEPROMs in the radio face and the box it plugs into? The antenna connection on my box and a radio knob were damaged when a VIM vendor shipped everything back to me. I am picking up another fascia and box to swap into my G8. I just need to get my programming setup together and I need to know what adapters to get. Trying to find out if they are SOIC,SOP,etc packages.

The upshot to all of this is that we will be able to see what locations enable VIM.

George
2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long-gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:04 am

Hi there George,

The Main unit uses a 24C16WP EEPROM, and the fascia uses a 24C016 EEPROM.

A standard 24CXX EEPROM programmer should do the trick such as this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24Cxx-93Cxx- ... 3f0febf67d

Because you are in the states, I would normally recommend the QC-4 EEPROM programmer from MCUMall,
HOWEVER I recently bought one of these things, (Last week), and the thing was shipped dead on arrival...
I am still trying to get someone from MCUMall to contact me as to what my options are, but so far NOTHING !!!!

The main unit EEPROM can be read using a 3M 8Pin SOP Clip, and doesnt need to be removed from the board to be read or written to...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEST-CLIP-SO ... 5645da6196

The problem with the Fascia EEPROM is it will need to be desoldered to be able to read the EEPROM
Which means you will need a 8 Pin SOP Adaptor
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SO8-SOP8-DIP ... 19cc08d024
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am

I am not sure if you are returning the Original fascia and main unit before getting the new one ?

What may make life easier for you is just swapping out the PCB on the fascia, (That way you do not need to desolder and resolder the fascia EEPROM), and just read the main EEPROM on the bad main unit...

The main unit EEPROM should give you the fascia pairing IDs, so as you can get the new main unit to work with the original fascia pcb.

Or better yet, just get a dump of the bad main unit EEPROM, then upload that in to the new main unit EEPROM ???

This way, you wont need to get the 8 Pin SOP to DIL adaptor listed above, and you wont need to desolder and resolder the fascia EEPROM.
The fascia board is easy to swap over, you just need to take care with all the fiddly plastic bits used for the buttons.
(I.E. underneath the PCB, there are heaps of little plastic bits that transmit the light from the LEDs on the PCB to the button areas... These will fall out if you are not careful..

I hope this helps ??????
Its sad to hear about the damage done to the Fascia and head unit :cry:
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ghodge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks ZerOne for the response. I won't be sending the old fascia and main unit so I will have something to play with when everything is fixed. Initially I was going to modify the firmware in the fascia to change colors but I'm happy with stock red color. I wish things were as easy as swapping the PCBs in the fascia. I can't see how to remove the broken knob from the rotary encoder that's soldered to the PCB without risking further breakage. I'm talking about the climate control knob on the right hand side of the fascia. If you know how to remove the knobs, I would be very happy indeed.

It's funny that you mentioned the QC-4 programmer. That's the exact one I almost ordered today. I then looked at the schematics for a programmer on the PonyProg website and decided that I should put my little CNC machine to work to build a PCB:

http://www.zentoolworks.com

I definitely want to read out the contents of the main unit EEPROM to see what locations enable VIM.

I love this forum,

George
2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long-gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim.
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm

I just got some information that the Fascia EEPROM can be read with a decent EEPROM programmer.
MartinM has been able to read the fascia EEPROM without removing the chip from the board...
(The cheapy one I listed above - which is what I have, doesnt seem to be able to read the EEPROM on the board)...

Also, I think (pretty sure actually), I gave you the wrong EEPROM number for the fascia..
Its a 24C01, (Small little bugger).....

Here is a blown up pic of the main unit EEPROM (You can see the model number in this picture)

From memory, the fascia knobs for volume and temp simply pull off, but to be honest it has been a few months since I had the sucker completely apart....

(I might have taken pictures of the thing apart... I will have a look tonight on my cameras SD card, and see if I can dig something up)..

Finally, glad you are enjoying the website !!!!!
It has been an absolute pleasure working with (actually watching from afar in many cases) the many highly intelligent people that have been contributing on here over the past 6 months....

I never thought I would learn sooooo much about this stuff...
My only hope is that I can contribute in some way to the whole process..

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby MartinM » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm

ghodge wrote:I'm talking about the climate control knob on the right hand side of the fascia. If you know how to remove the knobs, I would be very happy indeed.

remove the centre button first by carefully using an instrument screwdriver between the edge of the button and the outer dial. Once the inner button is removed, you will be able to pull off teh outer dial....one locks the other in place

found this out when i was rebuilding my fascia which had seen some action and had a cracked LCD Panel (bought like it, not damaged by me :))

cheers
MartinM

Postby ghodge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get home from work and try it.

George
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby ghodge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:53 pm

MartinM,

I was able to get the inner button as you described but the outer knob is still being held tight. Does this need to be done with the fascia disassembled? Do I just need to pull very hard?

Thanks,

George
ghodge
Starting Ignition

Postby MartinM » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm

ghodge wrote:MartinM,

I was able to get the inner button as you described but the outer knob is still being held tight. Does this need to be done with the fascia disassembled? Do I just need to pull very hard?

Thanks,

George

You can actually take the facia unit apart without removing the bottom two buttons, once you do, you will see how the outer ring is attached to the encoder shaft (two tiny detents in the plastic), for safety, just give one of those a push (maybe from insider where the button was) with the instrument driver and the outer ring should come off. Mine had already been hit in the front (outer ring and lcd screen were damaged) so they may be harder to get off if they havent suffered previous damage

When you take out the PCB, watch out for the 14? light guides (as matti said) they will go all over the place if you are not careful
MartinM

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts