Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Exterior Modifications

Front headlights WM Caprice Series 1

Specific exterior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby Yergin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi guys,

Quick query on if this is possible or not.

With how difficult it is to replace the high and low beam headlights on the Caprice model I was considering if it was viable to replace the headlight assembly with the Statesman model which has dust covers rather than torx screws.

So my 2 questions are -- Is there any difference between the Statesman and Caprice models for a straight swap?, or would it be possible to modify the back of the Caprice light to incorporate dust covers for easy access?

obviously it's an idea only at this point because I don't want to pay someone through the arse to replace a headlight globe and I also don't want to continually rip the front end off every time I need a new globe!

Thanks for any input.
Regards
Nath
Yergin
Starting Ignition

Postby ZerOne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

The Caprice headlamps have HID bulbs (and the transformers) inside them, as well as supporting headlamp leveling.
The Statesman models are just standard bulbs, with a projector lens (and no auto leveling).

I need to have a look at the wiring diagrams, but I think you can fit the Statesman headlamps to a Caprice.
(I am not sure what happens with the self leveling wiring or module though).

It might be worthwhile buying a torx bit set, and changing the bulbs on the Caprice lights, as spec wise, they sound like they are the biz ! :)
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Yergin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 pm

I have a torx bit set, the only issue is to get to all the screws you need to pull the wheel arch off, the front bumper off, the headlight off and then remove the back with the torx screws.

They are not all reachable from the engine bay.

So since the headlights are better (which I figured would be the case) maybe I could look into a mod on the cover that the torx screws use and cut in holes for the dust covers and attach dust covers to that original cover..

Big maybe and I might need a few new tools (and not just me)

(Hopefully the picture attach works)
-- the 2 torx screws on the left are easy from engine bay -- the four on the right you cannot see in the bay!!..

this is the cover specifically, which is why so much work is needed and the manual says to take it to a dealer!...

If some sort of easy access was on this i'd be able to replace a globe without removing the front end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yergin
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 am

How often do you change your globes? I change mine probably once in 5-10 years. Also I think you will lose a lot of brightness going to standard headlights. Is it really worth the downgrade & hassle/looks/exspense for something you only do every 5+ years?
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby RedCentreBluey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07 pm

For the HID covers, Remove front wheel, remove wheelhouse liner, access headlight rear covers, easy.

I just want replacement headlight lenses for the HID headlights with washers

I own 2 WN caprices, and have found this to be the easiest method. You only need to remove the front bumper, and the clip-bracket plate thing below the headlight to remove the headlight entirely, or to access the bottom adjusters, that the lower mounting bolts go through
RedCentreBluey
Newbie Modder

Postby EddieSSkash » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:53 am

As far as I know, the front ARB is the same size on both SS and SS.

Only the rear ARB is thicker on the SS.

I am running H&R ARBs front and back now but sure somebody will confirm the front ARB size.
EddieSSkash
Starting Ignition

Return to Exterior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts