Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Fitting LED illumination to the VE Interior Door Handles

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby ZerOne » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 am

I have almost completed fitting LED door handle illumination to 3 of my 4 doors o my VE Calais.
I have done this mod before on my old Falcon, and have been wanting to do this on the Commodore for some time.

Good News, If you have door lamps, then this mod is very easy, and should take you around 1/2 a day to complete.

Bad News, If you dont have door lamps, then you will probably need to run new cable through from the cabin, to the inside of the door, which will add to the time required to complete the mod.
On the plus side, if you choose to do this, then you may as well add a couple of more wires for the Puddle Lamp illumination for the high level mirrors.

I will be posting up a doco for this mod very soon. (I have been taking pictures, and have found this mod to be very very easy)...
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby gottavecalais » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

any updates on this mod?
gottavecalais
Newbie Modder

Postby ZerOne » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 am

Sorry, I have been very slack in writing up the information for this mod....

I will do this over the weekend.
In the meantime, here are the images taken whilst completing this mod...

Door Trim Removal

Door Trim Removed

Before drilling hole around the Door release handle

After Drilling hole around door release handle

Fitting LED to door release handle trim

Duct Taping up the wiring around the door release handle

Drilling hole for door pocket LED fitment

More Drilling holes for door pocket LED fitment

Fitting the LED to the door pocket hole

Duct tape over door pocket LED fitment

Duct Tape over the new wiring

Original Door Wiring

Modifying the Door Wiring

Door Trim Wiring

Door Trim Wiring Complete
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby gottavecalais » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 am

looks good keep them coming!
gottavecalais
Newbie Modder

Postby TazzI » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:12 pm

So whats the final outcome look like Zerone?!
TazzI

Postby ZerOne » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm

I originally got the idea for this when I drove my ex's Ford Mondeo. (Late 90s model).
It had factory illuminated door handles that would be lit (very dimly) at night time, and would come on at full brightness with the interior lamps.
It was a nice touch on that car, becuase you could have the overhead interior lamp off, but could still see all the important stuff by having all the other lamps work (such as footwell, ignition switch, power windows, etc)...

I did this on my old Falcon (EF), and it came up a real treat ! It looked factory, becuase you couldnt see the LED....

With the VE models, you cant exactly hide the LED very well, so it doesnt look factory from some angles.
For me though, I have taken the overhead interior lamps out, and if I need overhead lighting, I use the map lights.
The footwell lamps, side pocket lamps, and door handle lamps give off enough light for me and passengers to be able to work out where things are,
without having the whole inteior lit up for outsiders to see inside....

Im not sure if it is worth running extra wires throught the door conduit, if the wiring doesnt exist already, but if the wiring is already there, then it definitely is a worth while addition, that should cost less than $10 to do....

I will try and get some pictures of the door handles and map pockets tonight when its dark.

Cheers
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby TazzI » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Alright just had a bit of a google for interior door handle lights, they look pretty damn good at night time!

but bit weird at day time. The way you have wired it, does it only come on when the lights are switched on?

From what I figure (least on VY/VZ commodores), it would be spliced into the brown/white wire (illumitation for components) and the negative black/yellow wire (ground), therefore should only pop on when headlights are on.

Alternatively, it could be wired into the center roof light wiring so when the car is unlocked, the door handles light up (can replace roof light).

Either way curious to see how they look at night!
TazzI

Postby ZerOne » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Here is the Passenger Side front door Handle

You can see the map pockets don't light up very well. I used two LEDs, but I think around 4 would be better.

Here is a picture of the Drivers side door handle.

I couldn't take any good shots, as its raining pretty heavily outside.
(Looks like Sydney will be in for some more localised flooding... Yay...)

The rear map pockets light up much better than the front ones (They use 2 Leds, but the pockets are much smaller)...

I am working on the Doco as we speak, which will include detailed information on how to get the door trims off.
Easy when you have done it a couple of times, damm near impossible the first time you try it though :(
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Werdna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:06 pm

They look good! In my Subaru, I have used some LED strip lights under the dash rather than single LED's that come on/off with the door.
I still need to locate the BCM, then, tap into the courtesy lamps so I can do it to my VE as well.
I might even install strip lights for the rear passenger foot wells.....
Werdna
Newbie Modder

Postby ZerOne » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:57 pm

I was thinking of strip lamps for the boot, as its very dark in there with the standard light.

I think strips for the rear passenger foot wells would look a treat, It would be interesting to find somewhere nice to mount them though ??

Oh, and welcome to the forums Werdna !!!! :)

I will post up the pin and wire information for the courtesy lamps (From the BCM in the next hour for you)...
(I have the information around here somewhere)

Cheers
Matti
ZerOne
Site Admin

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts