Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Caprice LS 2010 Transmission Problem

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby anshah » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Dears,

I have Chevrolet Caprice LS Model 2010 its been around year i bought this car but since the day bought i noticed one thing in its transmission that while changing the gear "from P to R" or "from N to R" or "from N to D" it make a shock and some time when i start the engine in P it do the same.

However, ignored it but nowaday when i start drive and drive a while for lets say 4 or 5 Kms specially in traffice jams it make hard shocks during gear shifts (in all gears)..

Please advise..
anshah
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Tailshaft centre bearing/engine/transmission mounts worn/soft. A "clunk" normally universal joints. Your problem sounds more like engine/transmission mounts worn. Cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby anshah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 pm

silversv6 wrote:Tailshaft centre bearing/engine/transmission mounts worn/soft. A "clunk" normally universal joints. Your problem sounds more like engine/transmission mounts worn. Cheers

Dear thanks for revert.

Engine/transmission mounts worn OR Tailshaft centre bearing could be reason for the shocks while changing gear at 0km but what will be the reason for jerky shift while driving and as the jerks start the car sounds changs i dont its engine sound or gear but the sound is a kind harsh(grindering).

then if i stop the car for lets say an hour or two, the became normal for next couple of miles or minutes.
anshah
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 am

Worn engine/transmission mounts go hard when they are cold & soft when they get warm/hot, therefore a lot more movement. Worn mounts can give a grinding sort of sound if they are worn enough to let any metal come in contact with other metal parts. Most engine mounts have metal locking joints inside to stop the top from separating from the bottom if the rubber breaks. When the rubber goes soft they can sag and rub inside the mount which does give a grinding sound. They can also give a "howling" sound when the rubber is soft. Sometimes you will notice the knocking/grinding more going slow on rough roads or under heavy acceleration. Worn mounts allow the engine & transmission to tilt sideways when the engine is under load, and firm gear changes make the engine tilt to one side harsh. Oil leaking onto the mount usually makes the rubber go soft a lot quicker. So maybe it could be that the mounts are firm when the car is cold and go soft once the car has warmed up a bit from driving. Jerky shifts can also be caused by worn differential mounts/bushes/trailing arm bushes etc, allowing the differential to roll as it changes gears. Cheers
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby anshah » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 am

Sorry dude i was out of town with busy schedule.

It seems that my car engine and transmission mounts needs to be replaced, it realized it too. but one the more thing i want to tell is when my car start jerky shifts, the same time check engine light blinks up and some time last for days and some time goes off on next start up.

However, I have a scan tool OBD and it shows the error code P0700 transmission module fault & P0717 speed sensor power train fault, but both not at the same time.

Dont know what exactly needs to repair in transmission, another thing transmission fluid also smells burned whereas it was changed around 10000 Km ago along with filter kit.

please advise.
anshah
Newbie Modder

Postby anshah » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:23 am

today it through 2 other error codes P0615 & P0616
anshah
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Well...............NOW we are in a different world after all that!! IF it has been giving error codes from the start..........find what those codes are referring to & fix it or get it fixed. Now it's that simple.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts