Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Map Reading Lights into SV6

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby charger465 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm

For those anal enough to want the button backlighting to match the rest of the car, here's a brief description:
Remove the unit from the roof as described earlier. Locate the 9 torx screws and remove them (circled in green).
The front lens assembly should fall away. The buttons are loose, so be careful they don't get lost. The plastic backshell is held in place by four clips (2 at the rear and 2 on the side towards the rear). Use a scredriver to lever on one side to dis-engage one side clip. Repeat for the other side. See below for location:
Now lever the back 2 clips away until the backshell separates. This is what will be revealed:
Lift the PCB off the two plastic posts. You will now have the two PCBs connected by a ribbon cable:
De-solder the 4 x LEDs (shown circled in red), taking careful note of polarity. Solder in your new LEDs, observing the correct polarity. I used red PLCC-2 (otherwise known as 3528 or 1210) SMT LEDs. $6.99 for 20.
Here's the result. Excuse the poor photography, it's difficult taking this shot in the dark:
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Postby Morris70 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Good write up ! It motivated me to go out and upgrade my standard Omega dome lights to Calais readiing lights too !
Besides the front ones, I also upgraded the rear ones to Calais reading lights.

rear lights_front.jpg

rear lights_back.jpg

rear lights_connector.jpg

The reading light connector shown in the service manual doesn't match my new rear light, which has the same connector as the Omega one, with pins 3 & 4 used (orange and yellow)

rear light connector_wrong.png

rear light connector.PNG

RS components sell the contact pins for the X212 connector - stock# 718-1143, $3.30 for a pack of 10
The contact pins used in the front and rear map light connectors are stock# 670-6331, $3.74 for 100
The 6 way Molex connector is stock# 679-5773, $2.30 for 5.

I cut off the existing 4 way connector on the front lights, crimped new contacts on all the wires, and put into a new 6 way plug, along with the new orange/yellow wires
The orange/yellow wires for the rear lights piggy back off the front lights.

x212_pins.jpg

x212.jpg

The X212 connector has a secondary locking device, this needs to be unlocked before any pins can be inserted.(see TE drawing below)

ENG_CD_1355073_D4.pdf

Last thing to do will be to replace all 6 of the 5W T10 globes with LED T10s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morris70
Contributor

Postby Eha002 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Awesome post, very helpful, just installed into my 2010 sportswagon. Does anyone know if the microphone is polarity sensitive? Putting bluetooth in while im at it.
Eha002
Newbie Modder

Postby ZerOne » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Eha,

Yeah the microphone is polarity sensitive.

You will notice a black wire and a grey wire coming from the factory microphone.

The Black wire is for Negative (Ground), and the Grey wire is the signal.

Hope this helps.
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby Aussierevhead » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

i couldnt get this to work for me i have a 07 SS i bought the hsv interior map lights tried to follow the guides put above i just get flicking lights or nothing happening at all :oops: :oops: :oops:
Aussierevhead
Newbie Modder

Postby Morris70 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Sounds like you have a dodgy connection on one of the pins.
Is it the interior light, map reading lights or both that flicker/don't work ?

Check your pins are properly crimped and pushed all the way into the x212 connector on the dash,
and the 6 way Molex connector on the interior light.
You could use a multimeter or test light to check that 12v is available on the orange wire constantly,
on the yellow wire when lights are on, and on the blue/white wire when the door is open.

Are you using the original T10 globes or leds ? T10 Leds only work one way round, and give a little flicker
when the interior light dims after the door closes, just before it goes out.
Morris70
Contributor

Postby Aussierevhead » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 am

Morris70 wrote:Sounds like you have a dodgy connection on one of the pins.
Is it the interior light, map reading lights or both that flicker/don't work ?

Check your pins are properly crimped and pushed all the way into the x212 connector on the dash,
and the 6 way Molex connector on the interior light.
You could use a multimeter or test light to check that 12v is available on the orange wire constantly,
on the yellow wire when lights are on, and on the blue/white wire when the door is open.

Are you using the original T10 globes or leds ? T10 Leds only work one way round, and give a little flicker
when the interior light dims after the door closes, just before it goes out.

will try as you recommended globes are T10 original's :)

thanks for ur advice hope i get it this time driving me insane having no interior light at night time haha
Aussierevhead
Newbie Modder

Postby Dan165 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Hey all, thanks for your help. This thread has been awesome and I couldn't have done it without your help!

I've completed the same for my MY08 60th anniversary SV6 ute. I've got the two little map lights working. Very happy here.

Only one problem - no backlight buttons. My X212 didn't have PIN #9 for the LED dimming control. So I'm ordering TE part #1-963748-2 / RS Components part #718-0904 which seems to be the compatible male connector to the on specified above in this thread. ($11.71 for a pack of 10 at RS.) Reference is: http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/ ... 280003.pdf (by rights the correct factory male and female connector would actually be a size smaller though.)

This according to other Internet sources is one end of circuit #391 at the X212 harness end. Reference: http://www.hsv-gts.ls2.com/X102-X800.pdf

From here I'll need to take apart the dashboard and connect this to somewhere. The official location looks like X201 I/P Harness to the Front Body Harness, pin #26. I have no idea where that physically is, and I'm considering taking it from the headlight switch instead.

It's not a huge problem for now, and when I get around to dismantling the dash I'll post some pics and info (unless someone else beats me to it.)

Cheers.
Dan165
Newbie Modder

Postby Morris70 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:31 am

Interesting, I see what you mean - the manual shows pin 9 on X212 is unused on ute's before MY10
There's a few places the led backlight voltage can be tapped into - see attached diagram.
dimming.jpg

The diagram (and manual) shows the led dimming control wire (yellow) is on pin 27 of x201, whereas the pdf on the net shows it on 26.

BTW, X201 is behind the RHS kick panel, near the accelerator
Kick panel.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morris70
Contributor

Previous

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts