Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Map Reading Lights into SV6

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby charger465 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi All.
I'm putting the map reading lights and sun-visors with lights into my Series1 SV6 ute.
I've got all the necessary connectors and am going to make up a new roof loom. The roof loom plugs in the main harness under the tweeter panel on the drivers side. Does anyone have the pinout for for this connector ? All the pins are in this connector, I just need to know which ones to use.
Tks in advance.
Rgds.
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Postby charger465 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Here is the connector I'm talking about. It'sunder the driver side tweeter panel/cover.

The Calais roof harness has extra wires.......a yellow wire and an orange wire for the map reading lights. If anyone can tell me which pins the yellow wire and the orange wire go to in this connector, I'd appreciate it.
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Postby silversv6 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Have you tried a test light? I would assume one has permanent power (map lights) & the other an earth or maybe the other is for the visors & the earth may be linked in the roof? I think calais have more wires in that plug for the rse as well.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby WIKED » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:03 am

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply as I was busy with work but I have attached a PDF for the X212 Roof Harness Connector for a 2012 VE.. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WIKED
Starting Ignition

Postby charger465 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:38 pm

silversv6 wrote:Have you tried a test light? I would assume one has permanent power (map lights) & the other an earth or maybe the other is for the visors & the earth may be linked in the roof? I think calais have more wires in that plug for the rse as well.

It's really difficult to get a probe in there, being so close to the windshield. I really, really don't want to short any of the pins either ;)
Thanks for the suggestion though.
The additional wires are power for the map lights(orange) and button backlighting(yellow).

WIKED wrote:Hi,
Sorry for the late reply as I was busy with work but I have attached a PDF for the X212 Roof Harness Connector for a 2012 VE.. Hope that helps.

Thanks very much for the file. Looks like it's exactly what I need. However, it comes up with "Internal Error" when Adobe opens, and the tables are blank. I'll try again at work. In the mean time would you mind checking it opens correctly for you ?

Rgds.
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Postby WIKED » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:40 pm

It opens up fine for me. I always try the link before I post. Just tried it again and it's perfect.
WIKED
Starting Ignition

Postby charger465 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks WIKED.
That's brilliant. I just opened it on my phone and as you say it works fine.
Not sure why it won't open correctly on the PC.

Thanks again.
Rgds.
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Postby sportswagon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Charger465 , can you please post pics when you complete the mod for map lights , might help others , i too am thinking of the same for my 08 omega wagon.
sportswagon
Newbie Modder

Postby silversv6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm

WIKED wrote:It opens up fine for me. I always try the link before I post. Just tried it again and it's perfect.

Yeh, will only open in adobe acrobat, not reader
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby charger465 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 pm

sportswagon wrote:Hi Charger465 , can you please post pics when you complete the mod for map lights , might help others , i too am thinking of the same for my 08 omega wagon.

OK, here's a write-up of the installation:
Remove the old unit by pulling down at the front (it hooks in under a bracket at the back).
The high end sunglass-holder/ineterior light physically fits straight into any VE as far as I know. It certainly slots straight into my SV6. The only hiccup is that it uses a 6-pin connector, whereas the base-model unit uses a four-pin connector. The extra 2 wires supply the 12V for the map reading lights(orange), and button illumination (yellow).
The bluetooth microphone also used a different connector on the unit I received, but I just swapped the original microphone into the new unit and held it in place with silicon (the hole that houses the microphone is a bit bigger in the new unit).
The colour-code and connector pinouts are the same for the 4 existing wires, so just cut the 4-pin connector off your roof harness(cut each wire independantly) and connect these 4 wires to the new 6-pin connector (hopefully it came with your purchase !) as per below (just match the colours):
You now have to run 2 aditional wires to your new unit. Remove the drivers side A-pillar trim (1 x Torx screw) and then the tweeter panel cover (just unclips). This will expose the roof-harness plugging into the top of your dash as shown in a previous post. Obtain terminal pins for this connector (suggest cannibalising a harness from a wrecker)
Attach them to wires of appropriate length/colour, and insert map-light power (orange) into hole 13 and button illumination(yellow) into 9.
These wires should be routed up the A-pillar (the existing cable-tidies can be loosened off by depressing the little tongue) and then across the front under the headlining. Remove the sun-visor (1x Torx screw) and sun-visor latch (1 x plastic pin that extracts from the front), to allow flexibility in the headlining. These two wires can then be attached to the 2 remaining pins of the new connector (yellow and orange). Obviously the wires need to be insulated from each other........I used heat shrink.
Plug the 6-pin connector and bluetooth connector in, snap the new unit into place, and then restore the interior trim mentioned above.
My interior has red button backlighting, whereas the buttons on the new unit has white backlighting. I've ordered new red LEDs to install. I'll post the results up when I do it.
charger465
Kicking Tyres

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts