Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

SSV Head Unit acting funny

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby GearHead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 am

The Car originaly had the standard basic head unit, then an SSV head unit was swapped in and installed myself.

first month or so everything was perfect, aside from a glitch which will make the screen turn white (while everything else is still working, ac, headunit) and wont go away till the car is turned off and on again. this used to happen like once every couple of days.

for the 2nd month or so, the white screen never came up again, even during long drives but started noticing a slight buzzing sound through the speakers (engine whine) when the AC is on, regardless if the head unit is on or not.
then the screen started doing the below....

What might be the cause of this ? head unit itself or something else ? any tips
GearHead
Kicking Tyres

Postby ZerOne » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:32 am

I will probably start of with the obvious questions..
Try checking the wiring connector plug, making sure that it is not loose or that it is causing you trouble...

I see the The Driver and Passenger temperature settings as showing just C ????
Is this normal ??? Can you actually set the temperature ????

I remember a previous post where you said that you got the headunit from a supplier, and that it was supposed to be set up
to be plug and play, but you were having issues with it back then ???

To be completely honest, I have never seen these symptoms before...
The white screen looks like something weird happening with the connection between the fascia and the main board...
(I have seen screens go blank, loose the red, green, or blue colour (or a combination of), but I have never seen a screen go white ????)

The Radio resetting looks like the Single Wire Can Connection from the head unit to the car is intermittently dropping out...
Whether this is caused by a dry solder joint on the head units connector to the main board, the wiring connector on the car not seating properly, or something else entirely is difficult to say...

Also what version of the main unit do you have ???
(There is normally a version number on the main unit face, something like 4.51, etc), and what year model is your car ???
(I am wondering if you have an early model head unit fitted to a late MY9.5 onwards VE, and that the missing Power Wire may be causing you problems)......
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby GearHead » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am

Try checking the wiring connector plug, making sure that it is not loose or that it is causing you trouble...
Plug is firmly secured, plus it has a secure snap in thing that clicks when its firmly all the way in correctly anyways.

I see the The Driver and Passenger temperature settings as showing just C ????
Is this normal ??? Can you actually set the temperature ????
Yes i can, it shows C when its low all the way.

I remember a previous post where you said that you got the headunit from a supplier, and that it was supposed to be set up
to be plug and play, but you were having issues with it back then ???
The HVAC was replaced and it worked.

To be completely honest, I have never seen these symptoms before...
The white screen looks like something weird happening with the connection between the fascia and the main board...
(I have seen screens go blank, loose the red, green, or blue colour (or a combination of), but I have never seen a screen go white ????)
removed the fascia and replugged it, shaking it or pushing it does not affect the display seen in the video so i guess its not the issue.

The Radio resetting looks like the Single Wire Can Connection from the head unit to the car is intermittently dropping out...
Whether this is caused by a dry solder joint on the head units connector to the main board, the wiring connector on the car not seating properly, or something else entirely is difficult to say...
will check the plugs one by one while unplugged just to be 100% sure.

Also what version of the main unit do you have ???
(There is normally a version number on the main unit face, something like 4.51, etc), and what year model is your car ???
Car is 2008, will check the unit version
GearHead
Kicking Tyres

Postby GearHead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:44 am

ZerOne, you have a PM 8-)
GearHead
Kicking Tyres

Postby bambalam » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi guys, first post here, I am having the same issues with mine and I was wondering if anyone else had these problems. My unit turned completely white for the first time this morning and I have had continuous problems with the screen changing colors (starts white then goes to purple - then yellow and the new color just appearing is dark blue) and the only thing I can put it down too is that the head unit or facia of the head unit is moving slightly over bumps - I figured that the clips that hold the facia on have been used so many times that the facia doesnt sit properly or is not properly clipped on anymore.
Mine is also not the original head unit and came out of a calais, now fitted to a series 1 VE SS.
Let me know if there are any other threads on this topic and maybe I can help out.

PS

I would like to thank all the people on this forum as it is a wealth of info - I will try to contribute where ever I can.
bambalam
Newbie Modder

Postby doubledip » Tue May 14, 2013 4:57 pm

its the clips

goto holden and buy some new ones and fit
doubledip

Postby silversv6 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm

bambalam wrote:Hi guys, first post here, I am having the same issues with mine and I was wondering if anyone else had these problems. My unit turned completely white for the first time this morning and I have had continuous problems with the screen changing colors (starts white then goes to purple - then yellow and the new color just appearing is dark blue) and the only thing I can put it down too is that the head unit or facia of the head unit is moving slightly over bumps - I figured that the clips that hold the facia on have been used so many times that the facia doesnt sit properly or is not properly clipped on any more.

more than likely a bad connection between the screen & h/u. When I was connecting up my reverse camera I just tied the camera wires together first to check they were correct in stead of soldering them solid incase they were not correct. When the wires were not tight together I got a purple & yellow screen. The screen stayed that way when I tightened the wires, but once the unit was restarted it was perfect. All soldered & taped up & has never missed a beat.
silversv6
Major Contributor

Postby bambalam » Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks guys - I had a feeling that new clips might fix the problem, I always found it funny that you can just tap the facia or push it up from the bottom and the screen comes good again.

Thanks to all on this forum - I have gained alot of information from this site and will endeavour to contribute myself.
bambalam
Newbie Modder

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts