Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

Hacking VE Colour LCD HVAC and Radio

Specific interior modification information for Holden Commodore VE and VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby ZerOne » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:07 am

Looking specifically at EEPROM Location 0031 -> 0036

Original Fascia 0031 - 0036
00 30 97 06 0B D9

Second Backup Fascia
00 10 68 06 A1 DD

I have searched the above bytes in the Main Radio EEPROM, and have found that the following locations match

0031 -> 0033 Main Fascia EEPROM
00B1 -> 00B3 Main Fascia EEPROM
00F9 -> 00FB Main Radio / HVAC EEPROM

I will need to test this, but I ??? THINK ??? if the above locations match, then the fascia and Main unit will work together..
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:10 pm

ZerOne wrote:Some more EEPROM Goodness

From this dump it should be pretty obvious what needs to change to get the deck working in other vehicles ;)

Could you please upload the main bin again. When i click on it, it wont let me download it and says its mssing. keen to take a quiz ;)

"The file ./../files/2_bb7f2fa97a4c1e4d273afd987e247782 does not exist"

Thanks
Jez
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Obviously there are people offering the following splash/startup screens on VE/G8 Infortainment screens:

Holden
Holden Senator (Crest)
Chevrolet
HSV
VXR
Pontiac

Which im assuming are bitmaps ripped out of other EEPROMs as I cant see them all fitting on the same chip? By the looks of the Holden animation (and a few others) its just displayed and then the image is faded out. Id be curious to try and decode the image and try and rewrite a new one.

So you cant read/write the chip on the mainboard with a 3M clip?

Cheers
Jez

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:18 am

Hi Jezzab,

I think the Startup logos are embedded in the software (Part of the NVFlash memory on the processor chip).
I think there is a location on the main EEPROM memory that tells the deck what startup logo to use, as well as the background colour (Red/Blue) and a couple of other settings as well.

The main radio EEPROM dump could possibly be from a HSV model ????
When I bought the unit on eBay, it was marked as being from a R8.
When I got the unit, the fascia had Calais Nav sticker on it, so I was a bit disappointed.

But when I tried the backup Main unit out on my car, (With a fascia that was not paired to the unit), the background colour was red, not the usual Calais Blue....

This was not the case with my original main unit, and a non paired fascia.

Next week I should have a chance to try the backup main unit, with a paired fascia, and determine if this is the case or not.

Also, some HSV Models display text at the startup screen (Eg Senator 0069) to indicate the model and build number, much like on the VZ clusters.
Fingers crossed this main unit has something like that too that we can play around with.

I am also waiting on some new 3M SOP Clips so as I can test things out during the holidays.
As you know, these things are from the UK, and Aus Post is very slow this time of year, so I doubt I will have these clips before the end of the year (Which is going to limit what I can do during the break)
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:54 am

ZerOne wrote:Hi Jezzab,

I think the Startup logos are embedded in the software (Part of the NVFlash memory on the processor chip).
I think there is a location on the main EEPROM memory that tells the deck what startup logo to use, as well as the background colour (Red/Blue) and a couple of other settings as well.

The main radio EEPROM dump could possibly be from a HSV model ????
When I bought the unit on eBay, it was marked as being from a R8.
When I got the unit, the fascia had Calais Nav sticker on it, so I was a bit disappointed.

But when I tried the backup Main unit out on my car, (With a fascia that was not paired to the unit), the background colour was red, not the usual Calais Blue....

This was not the case with my original main unit, and a non paired fascia.

Next week I should have a chance to try the backup main unit, with a paired fascia, and determine if this is the case or not.

Also, some HSV Models display text at the startup screen (Eg Senator 0069) to indicate the model and build number, much like on the VZ clusters.
Fingers crossed this main unit has something like that too that we can play around with.

I am also waiting on some new 3M SOP Clips so as I can test things out during the holidays.
As you know, these things are from the UK, and Aus Post is very slow this time of year, so I doubt I will have these clips before the end of the year (Which is going to limit what I can do during the break)

I think your right regarding the startup logos. That would explain why there are limited choices of what you can have etc. Oh well, worth a shot lol I wish i had a VIM unit so i could read the eeprom and then apply the VIM and then read it again.

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am

I am thinking the same thing....
My thought is to buy the JHP VIM reverse camera module, do the above, and then sell the module on eBay and try and get some money back.
At $400 a pop though, its a bit expensive....

In the states, a guy is renting one of these modules out, at $50US.
Basically you pay the $50, and you use it for a day, and post it out to the next person.
(I.E. Pay $50, receive module, enable VIM, then post the module out to the next guy)....

Sounds like a profitable business plan Lol !
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, I can now confirm the startup logos are all available, and are called via a setting on the EEPROM.

I can also confirm that if the Fascia is matched to the main unit, then all you need to do to get a colour LCD HVAC/Radio working is set the VIN number in the main EEPROM.

The proof is in the pictures.....

Fascia and Main Unit Data mismatch (Fascia was programmed for my Calais Main Unit)

Fixed by setting EEPROM locations on the fascia unit.

Service Menu on New main unit... (Just to determine if there is a difference with the software)

And Finally, to top everything off, the HSV Startup logo screen,
complete with Clubsport R8 1295 (Build Number) of the doner car....

Sorry for the bluriness of the last picture, the startup animation does not last very long, and the main unit was on its side, in the drivers footwell, and I was trying to turn the deck on, whilst take a photo sideways...

If that doesnt get you excited, then maybe a video will ????

Here is the Original Calais Startup Screen

ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm

TODO List :

1) I am waiting for some more 3M SOP Clips, so as I can play around with the spare Main Unit EEPROM.

2) I need to remove the Calais Main Unit from the vehicle. This step is troublesome because I cannot access the antenna connectors on the passenger side of the deck...
To get access to these, I need to drop the glovebox, and to do that, I need to remove the NAV Unit.
(The VGA connector on the NAV unit was screwed on using an impact wrench or something... For the life of me I cannot undo it in the limited space that I have back there).

3) With my original Calais main unit removed, I will be able to take a dump of its EEPROM, and work out what the differences are between the Calais and the HSV EEPROM images.

4) Once the above has been completed, I need to work out a way to quickly upload new EEPROM images to the main unit.
The problem is I need to have the unit connected to the car for Power and Data.
I also need the front fascia (I think) to fit the radio in the cradle in the car...
This means that the EEPROM is not going to be easily accessable, unless I remove the CD stacker mechanism, and try and loosely glue the 3M SOP clip inside the Deck, with the lead hanging out for quick access ???????

5) Once all the above has been solved, than I will need to copy the differences over, bit by bit, to try and determine what locations are responsible for what features.
Including,
a. Startup screen (HSV, Holden, Caprice, VXR8 (Vauxhall), Chevrolet, and GXP (Pontiac))
b. Red or Blue backgound graphics.
c. Startup Text (May only be available on HSV, and possibly VXR8 startup screens), including model, and build number. (See VY Cluster EEPROMs for samples of this).
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby jezzab » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Well done mate! I'm back at home and hopefully my other clip will turn up and my E3 dash so I can take a look at both of these. I'm putting a touch screen overlay over the infotainment unit for a carpc while I'm there

Just gotta find me the bits in the bin file for the vim speed setting :p

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah, I'm waiting for some replacement clips as well.
I now have the HSV head unit and fascia in the car, and the original head unit and fascia out.

I ordered the clips around 1 month ago, so I am hoping any day now they will arrive...
(I ordered 2, so I am hoping they haven't been lost in the post).

So once these things arrive, we should be able to make some more progress.
ZerOne
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts