Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

Interior Modifications

FG Cluster into BA BF Falcon

Specific interior modification information for Ford BA and BF Series Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and FPV models.

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 11:06 am

Not sure if it will fit in cosmetically wise.. but.. least itll be a good challenge to try get it working without errors and warnings.

I think I read someone that fitted the FG into his car, it powered up.. BUT.. indicators were flashing quickly or something like that.. main premium ICC went blank and cluster speedo didnt update.

So whats this tell us??
1) Either the cluster was chucking rubbish information into the comms line causing the ICC to blank.. OR.. the ICC looks for messages from the cluster... so two way communication will be needed.
2) Theres some wiring changes that will need to be done
3) Speedo signal is from the comms line.. so a 'middle man' will be needed to grab data from the car and convert to FG standards.

First up.. wiring diagrams for BA and FG clusters.. need to identify the differences... whats missing or if something needs rewiring.
Il pull some up and dump them on here for those who wanna play at home.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 11:39 am

BA BF Pinout

FG Pinout

Clearly some differences going on here....
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Now to put some colour into it to show the difference...

So theres quite a bit of re-wiring to do to make everything all hunky dorey.

I actually completely Forgot the FG clusters have BOTH HS and MS CAN lines. Going to have to work out if there is anything significant record on the MS CAN that the cluster needs to function. (Hopefully nothing...)

Right.. so... on the FG cluster... things that dont have a pin to connect to are:
- MS CAN High and LOW
- Brake Fail Monitor
- Transmission not in Park

So... it doesnt seem TOO bad... Going to have to come up with a patch harness though so its going to be more plug hunting!
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Pin 18A on FG cluster... is essentially the same as pin17.. except it displays 12v when brake fluid switch is disconnected.

I *think* that pin can be completely left disconnected. Or, you can wire it to pin17 as they both want 6volts with brake fluid switch connected.

Pin20A tells the cluster if its in park.. so.. I recon.. it could be wired to pin 17.. since Floor shift auto is ~6.6volts in drive.

And the MID CAN appears that the cluster sends out information about high beams, fogs, fuel level ect. And receives on MS CAN thins in regards to Hazard switch/flash request, security warning light, audio information,

HS CAN still does the normal operation of vehicle speed, RPM, coolant ect. So I assume those *should* all work.. assuming the 'IDs' and data ent from the ECU is the same between BA and FG which.. I recon are.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Time to monitor what the BA/BF clusters send out and compare to the FG's.

Also need to see what frames are sent from the BA and verify all required HSCAN frame ID's that the FG cluster wants are present. If not, these will need to be emulated.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Need HS CAN data from both BA and FG cars to see whats different... anyone with an FG and ELM laying around will be of great help right about now :lol:
TazzI

Postby aumatt » Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I have made a ba to fg harness to power fg clusters on the bench using the same test box. The mscan is used for diagnostics and hscan for normal data. I have extracted some info out of the clusters using mode 21 commands via mscan.

Mind you the cluster is paired to the car and forms part of the Security process which the b series didn't. The cluster contains vin etc so unless you can spoof the Security part to the cluster it won't work correctly.

Matt
aumatt
Starting Ignition

Postby TazzI » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 pm

aumatt wrote:I have made a ba to fg harness to power fg clusters on the bench using the same test box. The mscan is used for diagnostics and hscan for normal data. I have extracted some info out of the clusters using mode 21 commands via mscan.

Mind you the cluster is paired to the car and forms part of the Security process which the b series didn't. The cluster contains vin etc so unless you can spoof the Security part to the cluster it won't work correctly.

Matt

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Right Ok.

hmm.. Spoofing shouldnt be too much of an issue, just a matter of identifying the security linking part.
If the VIN is sent periodically then that can emulated into the cluster. A little emulator or middle an device is going to be required anyways for when audio information needs to be sent to the cluster... well... only if all the main features are wanted to be kept that is.

From what Iv read, the FG clusters are security linked into the car, but, I didnt think the security actually affected the clusters operation, If that kinda makes sense? Its the BEM/ECU that do the security check and lockout. FIgured the cluster would operate as per usual.. but must output a special security code.
TazzI

Postby TazzI » Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 am

Bought some male/female plugs.. hopefully they fit in the clusters.

If so, can start doing plug and play testing in the BA.
TazzI

Postby mitchbfmk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Hey Guys!
I've just signed up to see how you went, and my google queries keep sending me to this site..
Anywho, I've got a bf 1 tonner, I cant afford anything fancy, but I love it! I have some auto repairer mates that always have a few doner fords about. Ive got a boss 260 with a territory AWD front end, and a falcon rtv rear end lined up so far to put in so far. So how did you go? Any success?
mitchbfmk
Newbie Modder

Next

Return to Interior Modifications

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts