Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

Need help asap car won't start after head unit swap

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VE Commodore, VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby velj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Fuses in footwell Re fine
velj
Starting Ignition

Postby doubledip » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 pm

how are u testing the fuses? pulling them completely out to look? measuring boith sides to see if power? how?
doubledip

Postby velj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Taking each one out and checking if they are blown, each one u can see a solid connection none are blown none are burnt or anything
velj
Starting Ignition

Postby foxdie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:47 pm

There's no messages on the dashboard?

I've found that if the LSCAN line that goes into the head units is grounded or misconnected, it effectively immobilises the car because the security ECU cannot communicate with any other system.

Try unplugging the head unit completely and seeing if your car starts then.
Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt
Sting Red 2007 LS2 Vauxhall VXR8, Walkinshaw Performance power pack, lowered springs, 20" Lenso CQ4 alloys :D
Co-curator of the GMLAN Bible - http://is.gd/gmlanbible
foxdie

Postby velj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Where is the lscan line?
Both head units worked one I put in and now I jsr put the old one back in it,
It came up with abs fault then came up with contact dealer! I jst don't understand how changing a headunit fucked the car
velj
Starting Ignition

Postby foxdie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:33 pm

velj wrote:Where is the lscan line?

On my VXR8 (Clubby E1, directly compatible with VE) it's the pin 6 (green wire) on connector X4. LSCAN is just what us devs call it, it's the Low Speed GMLAN network.

velj wrote:Both head units worked one I put in and now I jsr put the old one back in it,
It came up with abs fault then came up with contact dealer! I jst don't understand how changing a headunit fucked the car

Well, the head unit may work with the ignition off, but as soon as you turn it on it'll try and obtain security information from the BCM ECU (VIN transmitted over LSCAN) and say "security lockout enabled" if the VIN doesn't match, however this shouldn't stop the car from starting unless there's a short or fault.

The fact the ABS ECU is also whinging also suggests that something has fouled LSCAN, but these ECUs sometimes need time to reset (as they need to fully power down, some don't for anything up to 60 minutes).

Try putting your old head unit back in, wait 1 hour with the ignition off / key out, then try again.
Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt
Sting Red 2007 LS2 Vauxhall VXR8, Walkinshaw Performance power pack, lowered springs, 20" Lenso CQ4 alloys :D
Co-curator of the GMLAN Bible - http://is.gd/gmlanbible
foxdie

Postby doubledip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:18 pm

This sorted ? If so what what was it ?
doubledip

Postby velj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm

All fixed :)
I didn't get a second of sleep that night, next day auto elec came the battery had 12v power but had like 3v crank so wasn't enough! Just a bad coincidence fml haha
velj
Starting Ignition

Postby radrace19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

I was going to post dead battery but didn't submit it lol
Glad you found the problem
2009 G8 GXP
586 rwhp - LS3, Cam, TVS2300
radrace19
Starting Ignition

Postby silversv6 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:05 am

Most people only check the battery for volts, not cranking amps & always leads them to other avenues & a big massive headache. Some cars will not even try to crank if the current is below a certain voltage. Always try jump starting it first before you stress out and have a heart attack. Batteries can hold the volts but bugger all amps. The easiest way to check your battery is turn on the headlights & crank the car over & if the lights dim severly or go out, then the battery is normally screwed. I have found that older batteries (2-3 years+) can be fine but one cold night can ruin them, just like that!
silversv6
Major Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts