Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

Trying to change over my ECU with an OBDII - 98 VT Commodore

Discuss Diagnostic Trouble Codes and Parameter IDs for the Holden VE Commodore, VEII Series Commodores, and HSV E1, E2, and E3 models

Postby justliz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Hope this is the right place, this is my first post.

I have a cheapy OBDII dongle, and ELM327 I borrowed off a mate. I looked up the info and there seems to be clashing information on whether or not it works for me 98 VT Holden 3.8. I can get the TorquePro program on my phone to connect to the dongle but I cannot get the dongle to connect to either the old NOR new ECU I want to install. I went to Holden and they pretty much stuck their thumb up their bum and said "We have no idea how to do that, $88 please." I've also been told the VT needs to be connected with an OBDII interface because just changing them over won't work.

Anybody know how I can change this bloody ECU!??!

Oh, and hello, I'm Liz.
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby jezzab » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Won't work. It's ALDL. What ecu are you trying to put in instead of the Old one
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby justliz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Same one as the original. Not modding, just replacing because of electrical issues.

Really won't work??? That SUCKS.

How can I change the ECU over to a new one, same model? My old one smells a little burnt...

Model: CJKU

Thank you so much for you help.

Edit: I've seen some people change the baud on their laptops to get it to work but I'm using bluetooth so I can't do that...
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby jezzab » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm

You need to change it and relink the BCM so it will start (tech2 is the easiest option at the dealer). Especially if you have lost your security card

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby justliz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:56 pm

The dealer doesn't know how. I'm not joking. He said "Well I guess I can try" and he STILL wants to charge me for it. A mate of mine has a tech2 but he won't do it 'cause he hasn't learned how too. Frustrating!

Thank you for your help :( I'm happy for it, but sad at what it is LOL
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby justliz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

What's the least easy 'make it bloody work' option that doesn't involve dealers I want to meet my boot? :lol:
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby jezzab » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Someone with a GOOD scan tool (SnapOn etc)

They can link the BCM and ECU for you. BUT you must have your security card (white card with radio pin, key codes and security code). If you don't I suggest you go to the dealer as they can look it up in their system

jezzab
Site Admin

Postby justliz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 am

I'll check to see if any of my mates have a better tool. I don't have the code though, when I use it on the radio it doesn't work at all. Radio has been bust since i bought the car.

Can I change the whole ECU with lock barrel and bypass the code that way?
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby justliz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am

Additionally, when I took the car to Holden originally for the radio because my code didn't match they told me not to bother because they couldn't find the real code anyway and if my card didn't match I'd have to find a new radio.

The car has gone into limp so I can only take it to this horrible stupid dealership that should just have me do the work for them, clearly. The next Holden dealership is too far for the car to limp to and I have not yet had access to a tow truck just to test the electrics and [most likely] be disappointed they are stupid too.

Edit: Although possibly the radio has been changed and only that is not what's matching, haven't tested it on the ECU yet.

I'm a little new to cars, so sorry for my confusion.
justliz
Kicking Tyres

Postby TazzI » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm

By thesounds of it, your looking to (or already have) forked out a bunch of cash to holden to do jobs that they "might" be able to do or "think" it will work.

Id suggest looking into grabbing your own tech2 and attempting all this your self instead of relying on Holden. The units are fairly cheap these days plus if you do need a bit of "trial and error", you wont be tossing money away due to mistakes.

If they gave you a pin for the radio but didnt work, then the unit is not the original radio. Tech2 can look up the radio pin, although I do think you need your security code to see this info when using tech2 since its classified as "security info".

My suggestion is byte the bullet, spend a few hundred and grab a tech2. Cost will be equivalent to getting Holden to "attempt" doing something a couple times.

Taz.
TazzI

Return to ECU - OBDII DTCs and PIDs

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts