Welcome Anonymous !

Everything you need to modify your ride

GM Technical Document Discussion

VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

A place to discuss the technical documents for GM vehicles such as Holden, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Cadilac and Daewoo
Forum rules
To gain access to the Invite Only forum you must be invited by a member of that forum. That member will PM the mods or admins (NOT you) saying that they nominate you for access. THEY will be responsible for your actions. If you don't post and just leech info, you will BOTH be removed. Dont send a PM to the moderators or admins asking for access, you really dont want to see the result. If you submit information, you may simply be invited :)

Postby AndreasB » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks! Yep have all the LCD's working with no ABS or TSC errors. I've attached the final dump I used with works perfect. The dump is from a 2008 SSV manual ute with a modified HSV cluster (white backed cluster). I started with a Berlina cluster, put a HSV facia on it and changed all the LED's from green to white/red, you cant tell its not a genuine HSV cluster unless you look at the part number on the back :) Nice tip re the trip computers, you are right, you can enable/disable them in the customize menu. Saves me from pulling the cluster out again!

I couldn't have done it with out your guides and this forum though, thanks very much for the info.

Cheers Andreas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndreasB
Starting Ignition

Postby jezzab » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok so it's a berlina cluster. Cool, well done.
It's a bit different if its an E3 HSV cluster and a lot harder
Daily Ute - 2009 Holden VE SSV Ute Single Turbo (IQ, E3 Cluster, EDI) - 586rwhp
Drag Ute - 2002 Holden VU SS Twin Turbo - 1010rwhp [SOLD]

All VE/VF Module reprogramming. Remote programming with flash box
http://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance
jezzab
Site Admin

Postby ZerOne » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 pm

I think at some point I am going to need to play around with some VDO (Black back) clusters.
The Sat Nav outputs on the white backed clusters when using the IQ system are corrupt.
(They have added many new sat nav symbols to the cluster firmware for the IQ system),
so I am thinking that the older clusters just dont know how to handle the new Sat Nav Packets.

I agree with Jezzab here, going from a white backed cluster to a black backed cluster is going to be very very difficult.
(Kudos to Jezzab and DoubleDip for getting an E3 cluster working in an early Series I model).
ZerOne
Site Admin

Postby GearHead » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 am

For those who need additional BIN files to have better understanding of the cluster data.

Caprice Cluster (Part # 92222130)
AAPL - White cover
3 LCDs
Year Model : Unknown
Gear : Automatic
S/W VER : 20.22.115

BIN File attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GearHead
Kicking Tyres

Postby Muke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey folks, just started the process and have a couple more dumps for ya.

The senator is an '08 Auto 115,000km part #92222129 (lvl3 HSV)
The SV6 is an MY08 Auto, 124,000km part #92204362 (lvl1 SV6)

Absolute newbie to eeprom programming, so I may have even more questions later. ;) (Yep Matti has been great with advice so far - given me the confidence to give it a go)
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby Muke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Well this caper isn't a simple 1st time get it right. But I certainly wasn't expecting it to be. So far playing around with values from the 2 clusters in the locations in the table on the how-to guide I kept getting the ABS/TC errors. Couldn't sort that, so I tried replacing the locations AndreasB changed with the SV6 clusters data. That's gotten rid of the TC errors, just left with the ABS fault now. The odd thing now is after those changes a screen comes up saying "Mandatory overspeed warning 120km/h". Huh? Oh well, that and the ABS can wait as I'm calling it a day. Haven't gone for a drive yet to check out the accuracy of the speedo etc. All 3 windows worked from the 1st attempt, so that's a bonus. Anyway, headed off to a mates place for some relaxation now. I'll check out speed and things working and try again tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions about the ABS, throw 'em my way. I'm making a list of people I owe beers to ;)
In case anyone cares, here's my work in progress. I'll post it again once I get it all sorted. (For fun I rang Holden to see what they charge to reprogram - $126.50!!! Almost asked what they'd charge if I do the button pressing, can I get a discount?).
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby AndreasB » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Thats odd you fixed the TCS but still have the ABS fault. I was under the impression that if you have an ABS fault, TCS gets disabled also as it uses the ABS to brake the wheels seperately. So no ABS means no TCS.

About the only thing I can suggest is to start with the original dump out of your factory dash and swap memory locations from the triple window dump you have (or from one from this thread) from the locations I mentioned earlier. That fixed it for me. You certainly dont have to do them one at a time, I did the whole lot at once :)

Good luck with it!
AndreasB
Starting Ignition

Postby Muke » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 am

Cheers AndreasB. I actually was running shorter on time this arvo. I basically did most changes on Matti's table in one go on the new cluster's dump. Had a bit of a guess which ones to change and not to. Fiddled with those, but changed all the locations you listed over to the SV6's code in one hit. Some very interesting things happened. And yeah, I believe the TCS isn't working with no ABS. Didn't test it out though - you know being the responsible person I am :lol: . But it's not showing the error. Odd. Guessing either it tests with no error but wont activate, or not even being looked for. The button does nothing. Though once both errors are gone I'd better check it works - for the sake of safety...

At the moment, all gauges / speedo are accurate. Testing with GPS and a cheap OBD2 reader using Torque Pro. I don't think the instant fuel is accurate at all. Flat road on cruise control it was different to the OBD2. Both steady. Also going downhill, the cluster shows 0l/km, OBD was 2ish I think. Noticed in engineering mode it now lists AFM and shows it as "all active". Didn't think it had AFM, so must be a setting for that. No idea when that happened (or more so, thinking it has yet to be changed). Might get around to looking into that.

So some changes I'm certain happened in the change of your locations, some I just think.

When changing gears, PRND no longer send a signal. Auto Sport shows and now even shows what gear it's in (SV6 didn't). Manual mode now shows M1, M2 etc, (as before the last change) the SV6 was just the number. PRND just leaves whatever was there before and did show before the last change.

The TCS error going definitely the last change.

The screen "OVERSPEED Mandatory 120km/h" is new. Noticed also in customize menu, the option to change the overspeed alerts has vanished. Underspeed alert still there as most other options seem to be (security/lighting/rest/dist. to go etc).

Also noticed the Engineering mode has a new "battery level" or similar, not just voltage. Not sure, it might need to be told I have a different battery. That's new since the SV6 I think, so I'd guess it expects the battery from the V8, not the V6. Or it really is only 55% after 2 40min drives. That's the last thing I'll try to change, if ever. All the other sensors in E.M. matched the OBD2. Can't recall any other additions or deletions. But been a while since I looked at that.

So now I've got some specific/definite things happening with a smaller portion of the changes, I'll do a change and know what to look for. Should pinpoint a few specific things (with this swap at least). I'll put up specifics I figure out, and should be able to make a list of locations I end up swapping for SV6 code in case anyone else ends up wanting to do the same (surely most people hate that red cluster as well). Though that list might have to wait until I'm satisfied with the end results.
Muke
Starting Ignition

Postby doubledip » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:38 am

Have you saves different versions of your files as you went. Do you have bin file before and after when the TCS error disappeared ?
doubledip

Postby ZerOne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am

Hi Muke,

You are very close to getting this working...

I remeber having the same problem when I was converting from my Calais to my HSV E2 cluster.
The main concern is the ABS error, as the Safety mode (120Km/Hr Speed Limit) I think is triggered when there is a serious error with the ABS module.
(In this case an ABS mismatch).

If I remember correctly (Its been a while since I was doing this with my own car), the locations that you will need to copy over are around 0x330 to 0x34D that will clear both these errors.
(What I did was I exported the EEPROM dumps to hex, and then copied line by line).
I normally dont recommend working with a hex export (Its much easier to work with .bin files), however exorting as a Hex file allows you to quickly copy whole lines accross using notepad.

Just keep an original copy of both files, and work on a third based on the EEPROM that you want to get working.

If you make a change, and you get more errors than before, then revert back to what you had, and try the next line.
Also using this method, if you notice a change in the cluster operation (I.E. the error might be different), then revert the line back to what you originally had, and try copying bytes accross instead of the whole line.

------------------------

A note about some of the more interesting stuff.
The Sport shift display, I thought that the non sport models (Omega, Berlina, Calais, Statesman, Caprice) had the non gear display in sport mode (SPORT MODE), and that all sports models (SV6, SS, SSV and HSV) had the S1, S2, S3, etc and M1, M2, M3 display.... Very interesting !!!!

The AFM thing you dont need to worry about. My cluster says AFM is active, though I have a very early L98 without AFM, and apart from the engineering screen, the AFM stuff doesnt pop up anywhere else.
I think its just a software thing, where the cluster supports displaying AFM status messages if AFM is fitted and active.

Kinda like how the White backed clusters do not support a lot of the IQ Sat Nav messages. (The display gets constantly tripped up by the IQ Sat Nav, as it doesnt know how to handle the messages).

I hope this helps.
ZerOne
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to GM Technical Document Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts